Date: 18 May 2009
- Eat In Moderation.
These foods must be included in your diet but should be eaten in reduced amounts as they contain some sugar and starch. It is very important that food be eaten in variety.
- All types of fruits and fruit juices. Juicy fruits like water melon, starfruit, orange, grape, pineapple, guava, and honey dew have less sugar content than starchy fruits like durian, banana, rambutan, nangka and cempedak. There is no difference between a green apple and a red apple in terms of sugar content.
- Cereals - all types of bread, breakfast cereals, buns, Chinese dumplings (pau), rice, oats, bran, noodles, capati, roti canai, tosai, putu mayam, idli, savoury biscuits, maize (jagung) and vada.
- Milk - milk powder (full-cream, skimmed, low-fat, hi-calcium), fresh milk, pasteurized milk, UHT packet milk, evaporated milk
- Milk products - yoghurt, cheese, butter, fresh cream, sour cream
- Starchy vegetables/tubers - potato, sweet potato, tapioca, yam, pumpkin, green peas, sweetcorn, turnips (bangkuang)
- Legumes and lentils - pigeon peas (kacang merah), soya beans, dhall, green gram (kacang hijau), baked beans
- Fish, chicken, meat and seafood - make sure that these proteins are lean and skin removed. Fish is preferred but method of cooking is important. Opt for healthier methods of cooking such as grilling, steaming, baking or microwave.