Date: 18 May 2009
- Glucose intolerance which is first recognized during pregnancy. If not well-controlled, there may be problems with the pregnancy and the baby.
- During pregnancy, expectant mother maybe asked by the doctor to do Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. ( The mother will be asked to drink a specified glucose drink after overnight fasting. Blood will be taken before glucose drink, 1 hour and 2 hours later).
- Abnormal glucose level after this glucose load is termed Gestational Diabetes Mellitus.
- To maintain a nearly normal blood glucose level, dietary control may be sufficient, but if it is not, then the most effective way to regulate the blood glucose level is by insulin injection.
- The mother is at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes later in life.